Emotional Intelligence, the Key to Job Success

It is increasingly important for both interviewers and daily performance, although it has always carried a lot of weight. Some experts consider it “the key skill” in the work environment. We recently asked ourselves which skills are most in-demand by companies. According to this report published by LinkedIn, interpersonal skills are increasingly valued in the workplace, even more than technical knowledge, which is, of course, also – and always will be – necessary.

Emotional Intelligence

The soft skills or soft skills have been in fashion for years and gaining importance. In this list, creativity, persuasion, collaboration, adaptability and time management stand out in a special way; skills that have several traits in common and that we can summarize in flexibility in the face of circumstances and the ability to respond to them. We can also say that they all relate to the so-called “emotional intelligence.” We are going to talk about her today.

To find out its importance, we turn to the opinions of two economics professors at the Open University of Catalonia (UOC) , which El Economista collects in an article on this topic.

“A team depends to a great extent on its members knowing how to manage their emotions”
“The functioning of a team depends to a large extent on the ability of its members to manage their emotions,” says Edgar Breso, one of these UOC teachers. Do not exaggerate. For his partner Mireia Cabero, “it is not possible for the rational and creative brain to work at the high performance if emotionally we are not well”. On the other hand, a person capable of managing their emotions well is more effective. In terms of performance, it will affect skills such as concentration, creativity or acceptance of mistakes, among many others.

Likewise, they point out that managing one’s own emotions is not the only branch of emotional intelligence, although it is the best known. Reading and interpreting the emotions of the other is equally important to tailor our response.

Other Benefits of Being Emotionally Intelligent

Cabero highlights several advantages of emotional intelligence that make it a key skill at work and that also affect personal well-being. On an internal level, for example, it indicates that an emotionally intelligent person will feel more motivated, enjoy the moment more and experience a greater state of well – being.

On a social level, you will also have more positivity and serenity. Also, you can enjoy teamwork more and will be better received by your colleagues. If this person holds a managerial position, it will be easier for them to generate positive emotional contagion.

Greater presence in society

“Companies hire workers for his technical skills, but fired for their emotional competencies”, says Breso.

That is why governments are taking action on the matter. The UK and Malta have announced that their schools will teach a compulsory subject on emotional intelligence, training students in these important competencies. A measure that we can assume will soon be extended to other countries.

For more information

If you want to delve into this topic, we recommend the book ” Emotional Intelligence ” by David Goleman, who was the first to popularize this concept. Already in 1995, it indicated that intelligence represents only 20% of success at work, while emotional intelligence represents the remaining 80%.

Likewise, if you are interested in knowing more about which professions are most in-demand, we also recommend that you take a look at the Conecta Empleo App available in the “Apps” menu of Movistar +. In it, you can also take free courses.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *